Campers / Parents
The philosophy of Camp PHEver is to provide a camp that allows children with PKU and their siblings to enjoy a normal camp experience while maintaining the necessary diet restrictions. Our objectives are to restore the self-esteem and confidence that children often lose because of their special diets. Although we focus on having FUN, our campers receive education about PKU and their diets. We want children with PKU and their siblings to have the opportunities to meet other children and adults with PKU and encourage all to share their experience and make new friends.
Camp is held at Camp For All, a campsite built for children and adults with medical conditions, and disabilities. It is located on a 206-acre site in Washington County near Brenham, TX.
Minimum age: 6 years old
Maximum age: 18 years old
Exception: High school seniors may attend as campers in the summer following their senior year.
Siblings: Siblings are welcome if space permits. Children with PKU will have priority if space is limited.
Registration/Deposit fee: $25.00
Camp Fee: $450.00 (includes registration fee, room, board, and meals)
Camp Timeline: Camper drop off is on Sunday afternoon. Camper pick up is the following Friday morning.
Camperships: A limited amount of full and partial financial assistance is available. The registration/deposit fee of $25.00 is required even when requesting financial assistance.
Facilities/Housing: Camp For All is a unique camping facility that works to enrich the lives of people with chronic illness and disabilities. The cabins are spacious, sleeping 12-16 people. Each cabin is equipped with air-conditioning and attached bathrooms/showers.
Address: 16301 Rehburg Road, Burton, TX 77835 Website: campforall.org
Camp Activities: canoeing, fishing, swimming, hiking on nature trails, sports, horseback riding, arts and crafts, cooking challenge, talent show, the annual camp dance, and much more.
Meals: A dietitian-created and chef-prepared menu of low protein meals. After completion of registration, you will be prompted to preselect a low protein menu for any camper requiring a low protein diet. This is a great time for your child with PKU to try new foods! Low protein and protein free snacks will also be provided. If there are siblings without PKU, they will be allowed to eat from the regular meal line.
Formula (Medical Food Product): Formula will be prepared each night before dinner by the camper. Your child’s counselor and our Camp PHEver dietitians will be there to assist in preparing formula; however, we expect the formula to come measured and divided per directions below:
- Bring your medical food product (formula) to camp. Please do not mail formula.
- Bring enough formula to last the ENTIRE week of camp (about 5 days) PLUS EXTRA.
- Pre-measure/weigh out formula for each day and place in separate Ziploc bags. There should be one bag of formula for each day of camp. Bags should be LABELED with: CAMPER NAME and CABIN #. You should have at least 5 labeled bags of formula with your child’s name on them.
- Please do not divide formula per meal since the entire day’s formula will be made at once and the camper will be able to separate the formula out at each meal.
- Bring any special ingredients (soda, juice, sugar, Koolaid, Rich’s, etc.) which are used to mix in formula. LABELED with: CAMPER NAME and CABIN #. You may mix dry ingredients into formula prior to camp.
- We will offer water to mix with powdered formula. Formula will be placed in refrigerator overnight and between meals.
- BRING AT LEAST 3 MIXING CONTAINERS FOR MIXING FORMULA! These should be large enough to hold the ENTIRE day’s worth of formula (once mixed). LABEL LIDS AND CONTAINERS with: CAMPER NAME and CABIN #.
- Premade formulas or non-formula medical food: Please send each day’s supply in a ziploc or large bag LABELED with: CAMPER NAME and CABIN #.
Sunday Dropoff: If your child has formula to finish on Sunday, after being dropped off, please bring this mixed (not as powder) and ask to place in refrigerator or place directly on camper’s table in cafeteria to be taken with dinner.
If you have any questions regarding diet and formula, please email: email@example.com
For questions regarding registration, email: firstname.lastname@example.org